Plan Now to Attend the Summer Conference
August 15-18, 2016
“Voice and Vision” (Psalm 19:14 NIV)
by Lindy Jacobs, OCW Summer Conference Coordinator
The OCW summer conference is becoming known as one of the country’s best Christian writing conferences, bringing top editors, agents, and award-winning authors to help writers of all levels and multiple genres reach their publishing goals.
Manuscript reviews, appointments with editors and agents, mentoring, and daily worship promote learning and fellowship in a professional, relaxed atmosphere. We are delighted to be returning to Portland’s Red Lion on the River Hotel (Jantzen Beach).
This year we’re offering 12 morning coaching classes and 24 afternoon workshops. Topics will include fiction, nonfiction, memoir, magazine articles, devotionals, writing for children, writing Bible studies, poetry, and marketing.
Coaching classes include “Writing from the Deep” (Karen Ball and Erin Taylor Young), indie writing (Traci Hilton), “Effectively Communicating Christ to Secular Audiences” (Rusty Wright), “Components of Nonfiction Books” (Kim Bangs), memoir (Sarah Thebarge), personal experience articles (Sherri Langton), poetry (Lonnie Hull DuPont), youth fiction critique (Sally Apokedak), “Writing Lessons from the Front” (Angela Hunt), “Fiction Through Film” (Eva Marie Everson), and historical fiction (Lynn Austin). A new premium class, “Book Quest: One Idea’s Epic Adventure to Becoming a Novel,” will be coached by Susan May Warren and James L. Rubart.
Other highlights include an Early Bird “Write Your Novel from the Middle” with James Scott Bell (based on his bestseller by the same name) and two Nite Owl “Book Therapy LIVE” sessions with live critique and editing by Susan May Warren.
Tuition for members will be $525; $560 for nonmembers. Tuition includes all five conference meals and scheduled activities. Lodging is separate. Register early to hold your spot. Visit our website to see the full list of classes, faculty, and conference details at www.oregonchristianwriters.org.
James Scott Bell (Monday and Tuesday evening keynoter) is the author of the #1 bestseller for writers, Plot & Structure, and numerous thrillers, including Try Dying, Try Darkness, Try Fear (the Ty Buchanan legal thriller series), and Don’t Leave Me, Final Witness, and Blind Justice. His novella One More Lie was the first self-published work to be nominated for an International Thriller Writers Award, and he has served as a fiction columnist for Writer’s Digest magazine. His most recent writing books are How to Write Dazzling Dialogue, Write Your Novel from the Middle, Super Structure, and How to Make a Living as a Writer. Jim will also teach a fiction Early Bird on Monday morning.
Angela Hunt (Thursday morning keynoter) has sold more than four million copies of her books worldwide. She is the best-selling author of more than 125 works, ranging from picture books (The Tale of the Three Trees) to nonfiction books to novels. Her books have won the coveted Christy Award, several Angel Awards for Excellence in Media, and the Gold and Silver Medallions from Foreword Magazine’s Book of the Year Award. In 2007, her novel The Note was featured as a Christmas movie on the Hallmark Channel. Romantic Times Book Club presented her with a Lifetime Achievement Award in 2006. Angela will also teach a morning coaching class “Writing Lessons from the Front.”
2016 Summer Conference Faculty
We are pleased to announce the following outstanding faculty will be joining us:
- Kim Bangs, Bethany/Chosen
- Steve Barclift, Kregel Publications
- Robyn Burwell, Blink & Zonderkidz, divisions of HarperCollins
- Rochelle Carter, Ellechor Publishing
- Alice Crider, David C. Cook
- Lonnie Hull DuPont, Revell, a division of Baker Books
- Eva Marie Everson, Firefly Southern Fiction/Lighthouse Publishing of the Carolinas
- Terri Kalfas, Grace Publishing
- Christina Tarabochia, Ashberry Lane Publishing
- Erin Taylor Young, Redbud Press
- Miralee Ferrell, Mountain Brook Ink
- Joanna Echols, Focus on the Family/Clubhouse/Clubhouse Jr.
- John Fortmeyer, Christian News Northwest
- Susan King, The Upper Room
- Sherri Langton, Bible Advocate and Now What?
- Chad McComas, The Christian Journal
- Paul Smith, LIVE
- Sally Apokedak, Les Stobbe Agency (youth)
- Nick Harrison, WordServe Agency
- Karen Ball, The Steve Laube Agency
- Bill Jensen, William K Jensen Literary
- Teresa Evenson, William K Jensen Literary
- Chip MacGregor, MacGregor Literary
- Julie Gwinn, The Seymour Agency