The 2014 OCW Cascade Writing Contest will open February 14, and the deadline for entries will be March 30. Judges include top professionals in the field of Christian writing and publication. Awards will be presented to the winners during the annual Summer Conference at the Red Lion on the River in Portland, 7:00 p.m., August 6, 2014.
You do not need to be an OCW member to enter. Contestants need not be present at the Summer Conference to win.
“Contests are a great way to get your work known and get feedback from professionals. Finalists will have their work read by top Christian publishing house editors and agents.” Lindy Jacobs, OCW Summer Conference Director
The Cascade Writing Contest is for published and unpublished writers, and features a number of categories and genres. It is our hope that the contest will not only reward excellent writing, but will also encourage both seasoned and emerging writers, as well as provide a valuable reference for a writer’s resume.
About the Contest
Our carefully selected judges will receive score sheets for each entry to aid in scoring and to provide contestants with helpful feedback on their submissions. (You can see the scoring sheets here.)
Each category (see below) will have a winner, and all finalists will be featured in our Summer Conference notebook as a Cascade Writing Contest Finalist, with special pages designated for the winners.
The Cascade Writing Contest Awards are open for both published and unpublished in the following categories:
- Contemporary Fiction Book
- Historical Fiction Book
- Speculative Fiction Book
- Nonfiction Book/Memoir
- Young Adult/Middle Grade Books Fiction
- Young Adult /Middle Grade Books Nonfiction
- Children’s: Chapter Books (6–8) and Picture Books (2–10+) Fiction and Nonfiction
- Poetry (three poems or from published collection)
- Devotional (up to three)
- Article, column, blog post (published blog post only)
We will also be presenting two special honorary awards:
• The Trailblazer Award for a writer who has distinguished him/herself in the file of writing and
• The Writer of Promise Award for a writer who shows unusual promise in the field of Christian writing
Our judges were carefully selected from within the Christian writing industry.
The finals judges for unpublished entries include:
Susan Brower (Natasha Kern Literary Agency), Nick Harrison (Harvest House), Don Pape (NavPress), Joanna Echols Lutz (Focus on the Family), Sally Apokedak (Children’s agent, Les Stobbe Literary), Susan King (The Upper Room), Sherri Langton (Bible Advocate).
- February 14, Valentine’s Day: 2014 Contest entry forms will be posted on the OCW website and submissions may begin. Contest is OPEN!
- March 30: Electronic submissions due or mailed entries must be mailed by this date.
- June 1: Finalists announced.
- August 6: Cascade Awards, 7:00 p.m., followed by keynote address by Allen Arnold.
“Truly I tell you, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you” (Matthew 17:20 niv)