The 2015 OCW Cascade Writing Contest is now closed. Thank you for your participation!
The 2015 OCW Cascade Writing Contest is now open, and the deadline will be 11:59 p.m. (PDT) March 31. Judges include top professionals in the field of Christian writing and publication. Awards will be presented to the winners during the annual OCW Summer Conference at the Red Lion on the River in Portland at 7:00 p.m., Wednesday, August 12.
You do not need to be an OCW member to enter. Contestants need not be present at Summer Conference to win.
“Contests are a great way to get your work known and receive feedback from professionals. Finalists will have their work read by top Christian publishing house editors and agents.” Lindy Jacobs, OCW Summer Conference director
The Cascade Writing Contest is for both published and unpublished writers and features a number of categories and genres. The purpose of the contest is to reward excellent writing and to encourage both seasoned and emerging writers as well asprovidea valuable reference for a writer’s résumé.
About the Contest
Our carefully selected judges will receive score sheets for each entry to aid in scoring and to provide contestants with helpful feedback on their submissions. (You can see the score sheets here.)
Each category below (see below) will have a winner, and all the finalists will be featured in our Summer Conference notebook as Cascade Writing Contest finalists. Winners will be listed on the OCW website after the awards.
The Cascade Writing Contest is open in the following categories, with separate divisions for published and unpublished writers:
- o Contemporary Fiction Book
- o Historical Fiction Book
- o Speculative Fiction Book
- o Nonfiction Book
- o Memoir Book
- o Young Adult/Middle Grade Book, Fiction and Nonfiction
- o Children’s: Chapter Book (ages 6–8) and Picture Book (ages 2–10+), Fiction and Nonfiction
- o Poetry (a single poem)
- o Devotional (a single devotional)
- o Article, Column, Blog Post
- o Short Story/Flash Fiction
Our finals judges have been carefully selected from within the Christian writing industry. Preliminary judges include bookstore owners, writers, editors, teachers, librarians, pastors, and others interested in the written word.
The finals judges include:
Alice Crider (WordServe Literary), Daisy Hutton (Harper Collins), Nick Harrison (Harvest House), William Jensen (William K Jensen Literary), Kim Bangs (Bethany/Chosen), Joanna Echols (Focus on the Family), Sally Apokedak (Les Stobbe Literary), Susan King (The Upper Room), Sherri Langton (Bible Advocate), and Ben Wolf (Splickety Magazine).
- February 14: Contest entry forms will be posted on the OCW website and submissions may begin. Contest is OPEN!
- March 31: Electronic submissions due or published book entries must be postmarked by this date.
- June 1: Finalists announced.
- August 12: Cascade Awards Ceremony, 7:00 p.m., followed by keynote address by Ed Underwood at OCW Summer Conference.
OCW Special Awards: We will also be presenting two honorary awards to OCW members at the Cascade Awards.
- The Trailblazer Award for a writer who has distinguished him/herself in the field of Christian writing.
- The Writer of Promise Award for a new author who has shown unusual promise in the field of Christian writing.
“Truly I tell you, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you” (Matthew 17:20 niv).